Child abuse is traumatic and impacts the entire family. Guilt, anger, and blame may alter family dynamics. Financial difficulties may also negatively impact familial relationships. Fortunately, SafeSpot considers the survivorship and strength of the family unit a high priority. This value placed on “family” is the driving force behind providing our clients with professionally trained Family Advocates.
Family advocates listen and provide child victims and their families with support throughout the process. One important role of an advocate is to wade through all available information and resources to provide appropriate service referrals and crisis intervention.
SafeSpot’s Family Advocates help clients and their non-offending loved ones navigate through the rough waters of child abuse.
Specifically, Family Advocates provide:
- Immediate support and crisis intervention through the initial assessment process
- Education about the child welfare and legal systems involved in child abuse cases
- Information on how sexual abuse impacts children and families and the importance of obtaining mental health treatment for children.
- Referrals to community resources
- Information on how to best support their children
- Ongoing support and advocacy
Continued funding for the SafeSpot Family Advocate program allows our client families to:
- support one another, re-build, and strengthen
- access information and integral resources for economic hurdles
- maneuver through the fields of the criminal justice process